I’m jumping the gun, it’s only Saturday night and the standings won’t be released until tomorrow afternoon. But give me a break, Virginia Tech will not get it’s due because of the hype surrounding LSU and the SEC.
- Virginia Tech and LSU both won their conference championships today
- Georgia couldn’t even get into the conference championship game against LSU
- Ohio State doesn’t even have a conference championship game because the Big 10 would rather quit playing football before Thanksgiving and hedge their bets that the rest of the good teams in the country will have a better shot at losing more times if they play more games
- Virginia Tech (#6) was ranked higher than LSU (#7) at the start of the day
- Virginia Tech beat a higher ranked opponent (Boston College #11) for their championship than LSU did (Tennessee #14)
- Virginia Tech lost badly to LSU early in the season
- Virginia Tech avenged one of it’s losses this season by beating Boston College today
The BCS is not about mathematics and like everyone would have you believe. It’s about hype. And that’s why LSU will get in and VT won’t. Anyway you look it at it’s eff’ed up. Virginia Tech is ranked higher, beat a higher ranked team and should move up. But because they lost to LSU the second week of the season, Virginia Tech gets the shaft and LSU gets a shot.
If this season proves anything, it proves the BCS is crap and we need at least a plus 1 playoff system.